Nothing is more important to Allegiance Health Management than the safety and security of its employees. Pursuant to Act No. 461 of 2022 of the Louisiana Legislature,
“Workplace Violence” means violent acts, including battery or intentional placing of another person in reasonable apprehension of sustaining battery, directed toward persons at work or on duty of their employment. Threats, threatening behavior, or acts of violence against employees, visitors, guests, or other individuals by anyone on Allegiance Health Management property will not be tolerated. Violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action which may include dismissal, arrest, and prosecution.
Act 461 enacts reforms to address workplace violence in healthcare settings, including but not limited to establishing duties and requirements of licensed healthcare facilities with respect to addressing and preventing workplace violence; requiring the posting of certain cautionary signage at licensed healthcare facilities; requiring reporting of acts of workplace violence occurring at licensed healthcare facilities; prohibiting retaliation by certain employers in connection with reporting of healthcare workplace violence; requiring the Louisiana Department of Health to maintain on its website public information regarding healthcare workplace violence; and authorizing enforcement actions by the Department.
For more information on how to file a complaint against a non-compliant facility licensed by the Louisiana Department of Health, click here.
- Act 461 Legislation
- Workplace Signage – Please note that this downloadable sample/template contains the language for the sign as required in Act 461; however, please see R.S. 40:2199.13 (on page 3 of Act 461) regarding the requirements for the size of the sign and the size of the font, as well as placement of the sign in the regulated entity’s facility.
Healthcare Workplace Violence ResourcesThe following is a list or resources and tools that may be utilized in the development of a workplace violence program pursuant to Act 461 of the 2022 Legislative Session. Click here for a pdf of this listing.
The Joint Commission
United State Department of Labor – Occupational Safety & Health Administration
- Worker Safety in Hospitals
- Preventing Workplace Violence: A Road Map for Healthcare Facilities
- Guidelines for Preventing Workplace Violence for Healthcare & Social Service Workers
- Workplace Violence Preventions and Related Goals
- File a Complaint
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention – National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health